Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Candy for me?!

Yesterday was one of those days. You know those days? The ones where you just seem overloaded. As a mom, I feel this from time to time.

Is there enough time in the day? Dishes. Laundry. Cooking. Cleaning. Raising a precocious 1.5 year old.

Blogging has taken a bit of a back burning. I'm recipe testing on top of all the regular duties I carry. I'm also getting my blog ready for a move to WP and my webpage set up.

I'm working hard to get my webpage up so I can share with all of you more fun and exciting things! Personal Chef? You betcha! Cooking demos with the wonderful Mel Mason? That's right around the corner! I'm getting things done!

So, back to yesterday. As I walked through a store with my daughter I was feeling drained and overloaded. I'm sure we've all had this from time to time. So, I admit I made a poor choice! It's okay, right! As I noticed, after walking nearly the whole store, that my daughter had lost her water sippy cup I also ventured down the candy aisle.  As my daughter decided that sitting in the seat of the cart was not what she wanted, even being belted in! I passed by an old favorite, sour candies! As she twisted herself, somehow, around in said seat I grabbed a bag of candy. Just one. But, I was having one of those days so yes, I grabbed 3 more!

Woah! As I left the store, not having found her sippy cup, I realized what I had done. I bought 3 bags of sugar laced with too much processed junk to count!

I ate some on the way home...

...and when I got home!

I had a stomachache!

Then I felt lethargic.  Wow! I haven't eaten so much processed sugary foods in a very long time! Just to get that chemically induced sugary taste out of my mouth I ate a couple pickles. I know, weird, but when I eat sweets (which, strangely, I don't care for) I must have salt!

To make up for it, while making dinner, I couldn't stop taking fresh vegetables out of the fridge!

Tuesday night is our usual salad night. Salad, I made. As well as roasted brussel sprouts, roasted cauliflower, cucumber salad, and fresh garbanzo beans (thank you, pressure cooker!). I loaded up on veggies!

Salad, roasted brussel sprouts, roasted cauliflower, cucumber salad, corn on the cob (forgot to mention that!), and strawberries in the back as a dessert). Yum!


What do you eat when a sweet tooth hits? Generally I don't eat candy. Sometimes I eat my Jim Bites, loaded with protein and unrefined natural sweeteners (raisins, dates, agave nectar).

Last nights dinner included, as mentioned, brussel sprouts. To be honest, I've never liked those green little cabbage heads. I guess we also ate them after they had been frozen or canned. Last night was the first time I've had them fresh.  Surprisingly, they were quite tasty!

Brussel Sprouts

1-2 lbs brussel sprouts, fresh, cut the brown ends off
2 Tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 cloves of garlic, pressed

Preheat oven to 400 Degrees

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil (with foil, spray lightly with cooking spray).  Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes. Turn often so they don't burn. They will brown.

Brussel Sprouts
Even the hubby, who all this time hated brussel sprouts as well, like them. We were quite impressed!

Ever have one of those days? Decisions to buy candy or other things you wouldn't normally eat?

We all have them!

Cheers and happy *healthy* eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment