Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chickpea Salad Sandwich

Chickpea Salad Sandwich, fries and "rabbit food."


For some, summer is coming to an end. However, I believe here in Arizona, it may never come to an end. This whole summer I've been working on eating foods that I don't have to cook in the oven or on the stove. I still used both during the summer, but try to limit the use. It's just too hot!

Last week for the first time in a long time I did not create a menu. I had been so busy dealing with my little one who has decided to start her “terrible twos” early. My only thought was to get to the grocery store before nap time and get whatever we needed for whatever I could make up on the fly. I did well, actually. But, I certainly don't recommend not making a menu!

One night I was tired, of course, and not really feeling up to cooking. It happens right? I know that both my little one and BK like chickpeas so I decided to create a chickpea salad. Something we could eat on toasted bread or in a wrap. I did take out my mini convection oven to make curly fries though. The mini convection oven is very useful in the summertime, it doesn't heat up the house. As a vegetable, I served up what we call “rabbit food." Rabbit food, for us, is a mixture of raw fresh veggies. Carrots, celery, cucumber, radish, sugar snap peas, whatever you have on hand. No cooking involved, super simple, and the kids love it.

What would be your favorite edition to your own “rabbit food?”

Chickpea salad

Ingredients:
2 14 ounce cans garbanzo beans
4 tablespoons black olives, minced
2 tablespoons red onion, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoons sage
1/4 teaspoons oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Preparation:
Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Place all ingredients, except salt, pepper and oil, in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, mash the beans. You don't want hummus just lightly smashed beans. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Add approximately 1/2 tablespoons of the oil and mix well.

Serve on toasted bread with a vegan mayonnaise* and enjoy. I added spinach to mine, but I love spinach. Kale would be great to.

* I found this salad can be a little dry, adding the vegan mayonnaise to the bread makes it perfect.

Yum!
GF option: Use GF bread or wrap.

This was a super simple dinner that we all loved! Kid-friendly, mom friendly! So tasty!

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment