Thursday, June 21, 2012

Garlic goodness

I don't know about you, but I love garlic. The hubby could eat it all day long so I'm sure to cook with it in my house.

Garlic is known to boost our natural hydrogen sulfide production. Okay, so in high quantities it can be toxic but our bodies makes it's own supply which acts as an antioxidant. These little cloves of garlic can then product us against certain cancers like breast, prostate, and colon cancer.

So, garlic is healthy right? You betcha! If you don't like what it does for your sweat or breath (that yucky odor) eat some fennel seeds to neutralize the odors.

My dilemma has been the time it takes to shuck the garlic of the outer skin and then use them to cook. I'm the kind of cook that likes to make things super simple in the kitchen so it just seemed a daunting task to me. How bout you?

I started buying the already minced garlic, you know those ones that come in a jar of some sort of liquid and seemingly last forever? Yeah those! First off some contain chemicals I'd rather not fuss with and second the garlic never tastes as rich and garlicky as the whole cloves you get and peel. When I cook with garlic I want it to taste like garlic! But, inevitably I'd prep everything for dinner and forget the garlic. When I needed to add it I'd be rushing to get the skins off, which can take some work, and get them pressed and into the dish. Sometimes, I just don't have the time and end up adding garlic powder which is not the same.

I want to share a little secret with you about garlic. This is something I do, now, every week. I get my garlic prepared and store it in a ziploc in the fridge. Makes life so much easier. Monday garlic tastes just as good as Saturday garlic.

My trick to peel them all on Sunday in a quick fire fashion, you ask?

Here goes!

Take two large bowls (preferably the same size or one slightly smaller), I like to use metal but plastic works just as well. Take the garlic bulb and pull it all apart, don't worry about the skin. Place each clove (skin on) into one of the bowls. Place the other bowl on top and shake as if there is no tomorrow! My little one loves this part, especially when I use metal bowls. It's like a concert in the kitchen! You don't need to shake too long. When you look in, most if not all, with be free of their skins! Like magic! Some will fall off with an easy tug while others may need to go for another round.


This is SUPER simple!! I love it and it makes time management that much easier in my kitchen!! So, get to shaking guys!

If your love for garlic is strong then shake, shake, shake!!

It's fun too!

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment