Thursday, October 18, 2012

Kitchen Gadget # 10: Cookbooks Pt. 2

This is a continuation of my kitchen gadget, one of my favorites, cookbooks. Part 1 can be found here. I love cookbooks. My kitchen thrives on them. I aspire to, one day, write one or two of my own.

Here is the list from part 1:

In part 1 I covered Eat Raw Eat Well, Veganomicon, Let Them Eat Vegan, and The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook.

Here's the mini reviews for the rest of my favorite cookbooks!

The Engine 2 Diet is a book I received from my nutritional health coach. Rip Esselstyn wrote The Engine 2 Diet to better health for everyone, not just athletes and firefighters. As a firefighter and athlete himself, though, he's found he has been able to continue with his regimen because of this simple, clean diet he follows. This book came about (extensive research by himself and his father were, of course, conducted) based on an argument. In a firefighting house competitions are plentiful. One day, Rip and a couple of his work buddies started talking about health and cholesterol. He believed that he would have the lowest of all three. So, they ventured out to get tested. When the results came out it turned out that his buddy had the lowest, as he was in the middle, and the other firefighter was severely high. What was concerning to Rip was that his friend with the highest cholesterol had a family history of heart disease and bypass surgeries. He decided he would "rescue" him through a healthy diet. And that he did. They continue on with the plant-based diet based off an argument.
Rip was included in the movie Forks Over Knives as well. My favorite line, "real men eat plants," was said while climbing a pole at the firehouse. Amazing!

In this book you will find many different recipes. All plant-based and oil/fat free. I love his breakfasts, easy, simple and tasty. But, I must tell you about the Raise The Roof Sweet Potato Vegetable Lasagna. First off, when I wasn't eating a plant-based diet I didn't much care for lasagna, mostly because traditional varieties always had ricotta cheese. I didn't like cheese, much less lumpy curdled cheese. Gross! So, I was hesitant. But I also knew this version would contain no ricotta. Yay! I set out to make it one winter night and after some time (lasagna always takes time) and cooking it came out to be so wonderful I've made it several more times. I was so impressed I often make as my "look what vegans eat!" dish for my non-veg friends. Best lasagna I've ever had! A must read, this book!!



The McDougall Program is a book I picked up at a conference in town. A conference where John McDougall spoke. It was an amazing conference. I count myself very lucky for being able to attend. I have yet to dive into this book but many of the recipes look/sound fantastic. Check it out! Dr. McDougall has great information regarding health all packed into one book.



Ah, Blissful Bites by Christy Morgan. I discovered this book through Twitter. Can I say Christy is my Twitter friend, I really hope so! I have a few Twitter crushes and she is certainly one of them. I've tested recipes for her and we've chatted. She is a true sweet heart! I love her style and I love her cookbook!  I love this book based on the fact that it's been done by seasons. Produce changes with the seasons and she certainly takes that into consideration with this book. Christy is sure to include gluten-free, soy-free and oil free options as well.
The pictures are beautifully appetizing and thoughtful placed. Is it okay to want to eat the pages right out of this book? They are that wonderful! I must admit, one of my favorite photos is one of Christy chopping food in the kitchen. She has pigtails. Maybe it's me but I love to wear pigtails and this picture made the book feel like home.

My favorite recipes include; Mixed Berry Couscous Surprise, Heirloom Gazpacho, Winter White Bean Stew, Summer Fruity Kale Salad, Lemon-Roasted Asparagus, Magical Raw Tacos, Pineapple Not-So-Fried Rice, Red Quinoa Salad and the Fiesta Quinoa Salad to name a few. I have yet to try the Sea Vegetables section but I can't wait to do so.

Checkout Blissful Bites, you won't regret it! Christy offers light, tasty, make you feel fantastic after eating, meals.



Everyday Happy Herbivore is just that, an everyday cookbook. This book is written by Lindsay Nixon, another Twitter peep who's super friendly! I could use this book everyday. I love it! Over 175 quick and easy meals. What's not to love? What's even better is these meals can be on the table in 30 minutes or less. Seriously, what's not to love?

This book has smoothies, breakfast, muffins, sandwiches, soups, salads, veggie dishes, casseroles, beans and faux meat, pasta, desserts, and sauces and gravies. She even has a Do-It-Yourself section, like applesauce, bread crumbs, and no-beef broth. 

I found this to be a great "transition" book as well as an everyday book. I'm not huge on fake meats but during my transition period this book with the faux meats really kept me going. 

My favorites include; Eggless Salad, Kidney-Quinoa Burgers, Bella Tacos, Shiitake Miso Soup, Moroccan Lentil Soup, Red-Red Stew, Bell Pepper Stir Fry, Chana Saag, Moroccan Sweet Potatoes & Chickpeas, Harvest Home Fries, and the Chipotle Mayo.

I'm so excited for Lindsay's new book, Happy Herbivore Abroad, I pre-ordered it a few days ago! If this book is an indication on the greatness I can't wait!!!



The Best Baby Food on The Planet as well as The Petite Appetit Cookbook (not pictured) I used extensively when my little one was starting out with foods. I love all the sections for pureed baby foods. I was not sure on the logistics on how to cook all the foods and these two books helped me tremendously! If you have a little one and you want to make their food I highly recommend both these books!



I hope you are able to check out some of these wonderful cookbooks and I certainly hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

All of these wonderful people, including myself, are willing to help answer questions on your healthy journey. That's what I love about finding all these wonderful folks on Twitter, on blogs, through cookbooks. 

Cheers and happy eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment