Thursday, October 11, 2012

Kitchen Gadget #7: Silicon Muffin Cups (take 2)

I'm not generally one to do much baking but on occasion I bring out the bakers hat and get to work. I don't do fancy cakes or fancy pastries. Just the good ole' fashion muffins, cookies, and breads. This past Christmas I tried my hand at sugar cookies. And, while the cookies came out fine the frosting (I thought I'd be adventurous and decorate) was not so fine. I have no idea what I did wrong, those cookies were mostly just looked at.

I'm still working on perfecting my chili recipe which means, now that the weather is cooling off a bit, a lot of chili round here.

Tonight was no exception. It was chili and rice. Yes, rice. I grew up eating chili on rice. I remember going to a restaurant, ordering chili, and being shocked when they did not bring me any rice. Doesn't everyone eat their chili on top of rice?

We headed out for a jog before dinner and as I jogged around the park my mind wondered to corn bread. I'm not a huge fan but when mixed with pumpkin I could very well jump on board.



I got home, pre-heated the oven and through some ingredients together.

Brought out my silicon muffin cups, large and small, and baked up some yummy pumpkin corn bread.


These silicon muffin cups are incredibly easy to use. Muffins pop right out when cooled, they clean up easily and they are reusable. When I got 12 of the large muffin cups I also picked up 12 mini muffin cups. I used those a lot when I made baby food for the little one. I made muffins for her on a regular basis. Great way to introduce protein and other great nutrients in a small portion size. Just right for baby. Now, she's fascinated by these little mini cups.

She loads them up with her food (tonight she loaded them with edamame) and proceeds to give it to her bear. I think she likes the vibrant colors.



I don't mind the paper cups especially when baking for a crowd or on the go but these silicon cups are so useful for just baking at home.



Pumpkin Corn Bread (Southern Style)

2 cups spelt flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 cups cornmeal
1 15 oz can organic pumpkin puree
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons flax meal
2/3 cups apple sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup almond milk

Pre-heat oven to 350ยบ. Line your muffin pan with silicon cups (or paper cups).

In a small bowl whisk the apple cider vinegar and milk together, set aside.  In a large mixing bowl mix the dry ingredients, spelt, baking powder and soda, salt, spice, and cornmeal. In a medium bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients. Add the milk mixture to the wet ingredients, stir. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until incorporated.

Get your hands in there, it's fun!



Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 full. I use an ice cream scoop. Bake for 20 minutes. For mini muffin cups, bake for 10-14 minutes.



Southern style muffins are less sweet, keep that in mind when you make these. I loved them! Me, the one who isn't a huge fan of corn bread.

Cheers and happy eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment