Monday, July 9, 2012

Menu: July 8 – July 14

Do you ever have one of those days, you know those days where you feel behind? Today just felt like one of those days. We returned yesterday from a beautiful mini vacation to Bisbee, Arizona.  So,  this morning seemed like a good day for a slow start. Sometimes I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation. I'll blog about my trip soon, the hubby is uploading pictures for me to go through now.

My little one went to school this morning and then I just lounged for a little bit knowing I needed to go grocery shopping. Once I was ready I slowly got out the door and headed to the grocery store, Trader Joe's. After Trader Joe's I always head over to Sunflower market.  I figured I had plenty of time to get the grocery shopping done, get the groceries home, and head over to pick up my little one from school. But, it is one of those slow days, right?

As I was heading over to the green beans I noticed a woman in overalls with several very large bags of green beans. Along with the green beans she had several ears of corn. I grabbed my green beans and continued on shopping, in the produce department, which is where you will normally find me. While I was grabbing organic bananas I looked over and saw the same woman, the one with all the green beans, also had several bunches of bok choy, several heads of purple cabbage, and was going through the kale like she would never find any other kale. Her cart was so full of produce I wondered what she did with all that food. As I was going through the kale myself I looked over and commented that I thought I bought a lot of produce. Annie is her name and she told me a little story.  She is a juicer. Annie has been in remission from Stage IV Esophageal Cancer for the past 11 years. She truly believes that food can heal. We sat for quite a long time chatting about food, health, and well-being. Annie started a store in Green Valley to be able to bring healthy food to the older people who are unable to get to the stores here in the larger city. Annie also started a Farmer's Market, which is held every Wednesday, and she says she's trying to grow it bigger and bigger with each passing day. Annie wants to spread the message that food can heal. This woman is a true inspiration. I told her I wanted to write about her. So, this coming Wednesday I'll head out with little J to the farmers market to discuss many things including teaching a cooking class, guest speaking, and to possibly sell some of my own goods.  I also want to get to know Annie a little better. She is very excited about the prospect of cooking classes for the folks in Green Valley. I told her I would do my best to bring my holistic nutritional coach, Mel Mason, with me because she and I will be doing the cooking classes together. I can't wait. 

It's still very very hot outside, the rain hasn't been quite enough. Summer food is still on the menu for the week.

Sunday: July 8, 2012
Since we were on vacation all we can Sunday evening will be leftovers. Whatever leftovers we have from our trip.

Monday: July 9, 2012
I had a fabulous quinoa bowl at a restaurant called Poco in Bisbee this weekend. This yummy yummy I fully intend on re-creating this yummy dinner. So, tonight's dinner will be quinoa bowl and green beans.

Quinoa Bowl from Poco, Bisbee, Arizona


Tuesday: July 10, 2012
Salad Tuesday night. Got to love a nice fresh salad in the summer. We have extra spaghetti squash that we haven't made so I think I may make one of those as well. I cheat though, I don't like to use the oven in the summer so I cook it in the microwave. It comes out fabulous!

Wednesday: July 11, 2012
Southwest chop salad. This recipe is from Happy Herbivore, sounds and looks very tasty.

Thursday: July 12, 2012
Breakfast burritos with salsa and chips. Who says you can't have breakfast for dinner?

Friday: July 13, 2012
No cook Friday night.

Saturday: July 14, 2012
Grilled pizza and corn on the cob. What better way to keep your home cool then to cook on the grill outside. I will lay out a bunch of different ingredients so we can all make our own pizza. I will even marinate artichokes, Yum!

So, my day that started out very slowly led me to meet an incredible woman. Had I gotten out of the house early this morning I may never have met Annie. I'll let you know how Wednesday goes and what wonderful adventures we end up with together.

Have you ever had a slow start today that led you to something wonderful?

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment