Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Before I became a biological mother last year I was a bonus mom to my wonderful Bonus Kid (BK).  Not to say I'm not still his bonus mom! :)  Being a bonus mom is both rewarding and challenging. When he is here in our home I know I need to "mother" him in ways but I also know he has a mother who has been and continues to leave me in awe at what a great parent she is.  I sometimes think, does BK really need another mom around?  He's a teenager, does he really want another mom around? And then he's here and he loves it. I'm just an added bonus.


I don't do much of the discipline but I do offer suggestions to the hubby before decisions are made. I know that BK has a set of parents and ultimately it is their call.  I guess that's where the challenge lies. How not to step on anyone's toes. I am incredibly blessed to be able to co-parent with a group of great parents though! It's what is best for BK and we all seem to work well with it.  He has four parents who love him more than life!


I didn't know that having a child of my own would change anything. And, in some regards it has not. I love both the kiddos very much. What I didn't realize is how I would fall so hard and so fast for such a beautiful being. My daughter is my world. She has brought out in me things I never knew existed. I have patience, I can give up control and I often don't mind if my house is a mess.  For those that know me, that is a HUGE deal! Being a biological mother is something I never knew I wanted THIS much. I never knew I would love THIS much. I never knew I could do it. I can and I am. I must say, I'm a pretty good mom!


Being a biological mom also gives me more of an appreciation for BK's mom. For her to share her boy with me leaves me in awe! She's is an incredibly strong woman to allow for another woman to step in and love her son as a son.  Thank you to BK's mom for the love you give to us daily.


Last year was my first Mother's Day as a bio-mom. It was lovely. I remember we went to our favorite burger joint and I'm pretty sure I had a burger with bacon and cheese and everything else that's NOT good for me. I guess I can look back now as it being a fond memory because I know longer want that. It was good at the time but to be honest I really like the light feeling I have after eating. ;)


This year, obviously, we didn't go to the burger joint. This year the hubby made some food.  I helped but I do really love being in the kitchen!  He picked out some recipes from Blissful Bites, one of my new cookbooks.  I think he was actually kind of excited.


Our menu for Mother's Day:
Tofu Scramble (the hubby was to decide what all he wanted in it the day of)
Summer Fruity Kale Salad - BB
Mixed Berry Couscous Surprise - BB
Orange Apricot Tea Buns - find the recipe here from Dreena Burton's Plant-Powered Website
Fruit Salad - made with love by my Mother-in-law
Mimosas


What a beautiful spread. (okay, I admit I need artwork in my dining area!)

We served up fresh kale because we love it mixed with the tofu scramble. I also made salsa for dinner the night before so that's a bonus for the scramble as well! What both the hubby and I forgot was fresh flowers! On Mother's Day, we forgot fresh flowers! Luckily I had some very pretty fake ones. Later in the evening my BK brought me a bouquet, quite beautiful! :)

My mom who is hesitant with vegan eating enjoyed the food. She did admit that it seemed something was missing, meat that is. But, to be honest the first week without meat left me feeling a longing for it. I didn't feel full or satisfied with my meals. That just takes time and I completely understand how she was feeling.

Summer Fruity Kale Salad, Orange Apricot Tea Buns and a big bowl of fresh kale

The kale salad was surprisingly good! I saw surprisingly because I don't usually eat fruit along with my salads. It's always been an odd mix. But, this salad, WOW! So good! What a great mixture of fruit, kale, jicama and coconut. Because I'm not a huge mint fan I will omit next time. The mint fan at the table loved the salad as is. Perhaps I will make both. This salad with be a staple side dish for sure!  The Orange Apricot Tea Buns reminded me of scones. They were moist in the middle, provided by the apricots and a bit crispy on the outside.  Like a toasted bread. They were delicious and a hit! My little one loved them too!

Tofu Scramble. Champagne for Mimosas

No two scrambles are alike in this house. This one was of no exception. I'm not sure what all the hubby threw in but it was darn good! I do know it had portabella mushrooms, mini bell peppers, onions, cilantro, potatoes, garlic, tofu, various seasonings and green onions. This too was a big hit. We just finished off all the left overs.  Yum!!

A beautiful bouquet from BK. 

The hubby checked out my Amazon wishlist and got me Eat Raw, Eat Well by Doug McNish. I'm super excited to try it out! I've already made a juice that we all liked. My little one drank it so fast I thought it had spilled.  I looked everywhere for that juice!!! :)  My little one picked out a butterfly cookie cutter from the Butterfly Magic exhibit at our local Botanical Gardens. I need to pick something to make so I can use it. She also picked out an Eric Carle book, Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?   Even at 14 months she seems to have a favorite author. She loves to sit in my lap while I read to her. I love it too.

I got to spend Mother's Day with some great family. The hubby, my mom, my in-laws and brother-in-law. My little one of course and I got to say hello to BK and his mom as they stopped by Sunday night. Got a little shopping done with my mom but mostly had a relaxing day. The hubby and I sat down and watched a movie as well, We Bought a Zoo. What a great movie! 

What a lovely day.

How was your Mother's Day? Watch any great movies lately?

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment