Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Zucchini Bread

I'm no baker. I didn't enjoy baking classes in culinary school and I didn't enjoy working with the desserts at the restaurants I worked at either. Put me in front of a saute pan and I'm a happy girl. There is a running joke in my house about my baking. One night awhile back we had a brownie mix (yes, I used a mixed. I'm not a baker remember) and I thought I'd make some brownies for the hubby and BK. They were out for a run so I got started. They came home just as I was stirring the ingredients in a bowl. They both looked in and looked at me. Yes, in the bowl was a dark chocolate brick. I could barely stir it. I re-read the instructions and I realized I had forgotten the water. Yep, me, I forgot to add water. I can create many a dish from scratch but for some reason following instructions on a box baffles me. 


Now, whenever I attempt to bake I'm asked if I've added water!


For some reason after becoming plant powered/vegan I started baking more. I think I'm just trying to learn new cooking processes I have never done before. I'm so used to cooking/baking with butter and milk and all things animal based that I feel like I'm learning something new. 


About a month ago a friend told me about Market on the Move, a local company that "rescues" vegetables that would otherwise be thrown out at the supermarket. There is nothing wrong with the produce it just doesn't always look perfect. So, I went to check it out and came home with two flats of tomatoes and a flat of zucchini and squash. I got banana peppers in that batch as well. I made salsa,  tomato sauce and we had great roasted veggies for dinners. 


I sat and starred at the zucchini wondering what else I could do with it. I browsed the internet and found some vegan zucchini bread recipes. Not many though. I expected more. What I found were recipes with white flour, lot's of sugar, and way more oil than I would want to use. But, I made one and it was okay. I just wondered if I could do better. 


I've been using Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton a lot lately and remembered that in her book she uses lot's of different kinds of flours and sugar/sweeteners.  Okay, well I have those items so I'm just going to wing it.


I thought for sure I'd bake up a loaf of mush because, again, baking is not my forte!


Here is what I came up with. Don't be scared, it's not a lump of mush.


Ingredients List:


1 cup oat flour (I process organic rolled oats in the processor to make flour)
1 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup raw sugar (turbinado)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup zucchini, shredded
1 cup over ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup agave nectar
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup non dairy milk


How to List:


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan.


In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients, sift in the baking powder and baking soda, mix well.  Set aside. In a small bowl add all the wet ingredients, including zucchini and banana. Stir well and make sure the banana is mashed well.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated. 


Pour your bread mix into your loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes.  Enjoy warm or save for later.




Well, here it is. My first baked goods recipe. I do hope you enjoy! Please feel free to comment and leave feedback if you make this. I'd love to hear what others think!


Cheers and happy eating!


Playlist: (iTunes on random)
U2 - Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Extended Club Mix)
The Prodigy - Run with the Wolves
Ver Vlads - Crazy Ivan
Imperative Reaction - Judas
Depeche Mode - Freestate
Coldplay - Parachutes
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
Skinny Puppy - Rain
Fatboy Slim - Weapon of Choice







No comments:

Post a Comment