Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer Party Potato Salad

I was really very excited when I found a vegan potato salad at the Whole Foods deli counter. Their food is so good! They have a vegan pesto sauce that is divine, unfortunately they don't sell it. *Note to self* create a vegan pesto!  When I tried their potato salad I thought to myself I MUST MAKE this!! At over $8 a pound I thought it had to be cheaper to make my own version.  Especially when I wanted to serve it not only for my little one's first birthday party but also at the Memorial Day vegaque the hubby and I had this past Monday.  


It took a couple of versions (okay, by me!) until I found one that just made me smile. I believe it was just as good, if not better, than what I found at Whole Foods.  


Ingredients:
6-7 cups white potatoes (or red), chopped (bite sized pieces)
Water for boiling the potatoes, should cover by 1 inch
1 cup Veganaise 
1/2 Tablespoon Stone Ground Mustard, if you like dijon more that works too
1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 Tablespoons pickle relish (my favorite is Whole Foods brand)
2 celery stalks, small dice
1 medium carrots, small dice
1/4-1/2 red onion, small dice
1 mini bell pepper (optional)


Process:
Place potatoes in cold water, covered by about 1 inch, bring to a boil and lower to a simmer until fork tender, 20-25 minutes. Depending on size of the potato.  When done, drain and let cool.


Mix all other ingredients in a small boil and refrigerate while the potatoes cool allowing the flavors to incorporate.  Place cooled potatoes in a large bowl and add the dressing, mix well. 


**I like to add a pinch of salt and pepper to the potatoes themselves before adding the dressing. This is totally optional.**


Note: I find that the potato salad tastes best the day it's been made. It's good the next as well but I find it's best the day it's made. 


I hope you enjoy this lovely summer salad. Enjoy at picnics, BBQ's, vegaque's, or for burger night at home.


Cheers and happy eating!


Playlist: iTunes random
The Psychedelic Furs - Love my Way
Decoded Feedback - Psy-Storm
Daft Punk - End of Line
Happy Mondays - WFL (special club mix)
Radiohead - Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Interpol - C'mere

No comments:

Post a Comment