Thursday, April 5, 2012

Falafel...falafel

I attempted falafel again. The first time I bought a mix from Whole Foods. Everyone seemed okay with it but thought it was a tad dry. J didn't like it much. So, I decided to make it from scratch using my seemingly favorite cookbook, Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family.

This time, I loved the falafel. I thought they were moist and flavorful. The parsley and cilantro stood out to me as well as the cumin. They weren't full of grease like some falafel can be which gave a light fresh taste. My only problem was that perhaps I did not cook them long enough, they seemed to fall apart fairly easily. I may need to add a tad more oil next time to get more of a golden brown outside.

J loved this version of falafel, she even ate it right up for lunch today! The hubby and BK, however, thought the texture was off. BK ate some of it but liked the texture of the last version. The hubby loved the flavor of this version but would prefer a closer match to the last version as well. I guess it's two against two!



I made some Tahini and served hummus as well. I made a spiced brown rice. I made it simple. Brown rice, onions, garam masala. It definitely needed more garam masala. I worried the kiddos would find that to be a tad over powering though. I found dinner to be quite tasty last night and I even enjoyed the left overs today. Next time I will either fry longer with a tad more oil or I will try and bake them, hitting them with the broiler at the end.

If you make one of your own versions of falafel please share. One day I will get it just right so all the bears love it! :)

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment