Monday, April 9, 2012

Jerk Chickpeas! Wow!

If I haven't said it enough, let me say it one more time. Let Them Eat Vegan is a cookbook I cannot put down. If you are vegan, would like to be vegan, or you just want to add some whole food plant strong meals into your repertoire, please give this book a try! Most of the recipes are super simple to make with only a few being a bit more of a challenge. But, not so much so that it's intimidating. Those cookbooks are tough to get through! Trust me, I went to a French Culinary School, it's not easy. The recipes are not only good but they give such great options, options for kids, options for soy free (for all those that have a soy allergy), options for wheat free, so many options. I love how, Dreena Burton gives insight as to how she may make the recipe at home, perhaps she's missing an ingredient, she gives you an alternative. Its definitely user friendly.

Here is where you can get it, it's where I got mine!



Just so that you are aware. There has been a revision of this book, new copies will be shipped out, starting May 1st, 2012. Here is the information provided by the author, Dreena Burton. http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/2012/04/update-let-them-eat-vegan-release-date.html?spref=tw

Okay, so on to the dinner I made! Jerk Chickpeas. The spice combination in this recipe is just so tasty! A little sweet a little spice. I've never baked chickpeas before but I think I'll be doing so more often. Along with the Jerk Chickpeas I made up some brown rice with tomatoes, roasted green chilies, corn, onions, garlic and some other seasonings (chili powder, cumin, coriander(all my faves!)). We served the chickpeas on small (tostada sized) flour tortillas with the rice, lettuce and avocado. Best little taco type tostada dinner we've had in a long time! J ate the chickpeas like I eat pickles (a lot!) and BK loved them too. The hubby was very impressed. I couldn't wait for lunch the next day. What would I do without leftovers?? As always, I made a side of green beans (it seems to be the only vegetable I can get BK to eat).


Just before putting the chickpeas into the oven. So colorful!!!

Here's how I make my green beans (The hubby asks for these often)

Things you need:

1 lb green beans (fresh), cleaned of the ends
1 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
Salt and pepper to taste

Things you must do:

Bring about 4 cups of water to a boil. Add prepared green beans to the water and blanch for 1 minute. Immediately remove from water and either put them in a cold water/ice bath or run them under cold water and put them in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. I generally don't have enough ice on hand so running them under cold water works for me.
Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Saute until heated through, 3-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. If you like extra garlic this is where I will add garlic powder as well. Enjoy!

This dinner was very simple to make! It was a crowd pleaser.


Dinner is served!

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment