Monday, April 2, 2012

I thought I was eating something unhealthy!

Often times when I feel like I'm eating really unhealthy rich food I back it up with a ton of veggies. I haven't had this feeling in quite sometime. Mostly because I choose to no longer eat those really unhealthy items that weigh heavy in my stomach. Last night I made another lovely meal from Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family. Yellow sweet potato chickpea pie. I kept asking myself if I was eating something really unhealthy. It was so savory, so rich, good.

For me, savory has never been one of my favorites. But, with that this pie was very good! I enjoyed the nuts on top and the smooth creaminess of the pie filling itself. Even the whole wheat pie crust was divine!



Along with this savory pie I made asparagus, inspired by LTEV as well. I had no idea you could broil asparagus. I've always blanched them and sauteed them. Or I've used a steamer. I must say, broiling is scrumptious. I added some oil, garlic, salt and pepper to the asparagus and tossed them in the oven for a few minutes. So tasty!

I also made a beet, carrot and jicama salad. Mostly because I have a ton of carrots and beets from the CSA. I made a simple dressing of lemon juice, seasoned rice wine vinegar, stone ground mustard and dill. I am a big fan of this salad! Just roast the beets until you can easily stick a fork in them. Cut them up as well as the jicama and carrots and toss with the dressing. Wow!!

I may modify the chickpea pie to suit the family since savory isn't a big flavor around the house. I think next time I'll add some mushrooms to the filling. Add sauteed kale on top of the pie and drizzle with either balsamic vinegar or a balsamic vinegar sauce. It was good as is, but I think, for us, this will put it over the top!



Cheers and happy eating!

1 comment: