Tuesday, February 14, 2012

CSA Week 6(the last week of the grouping)

This is the last of our first grouping/purchase with the CSA. We wanted to give it a try and ended up loving it! So, we've gone in for another 6 weeks!!

This week came some very unusual items for us. The cauliflower(down in front) is green instead of the usual white and looks almost sea plant like. I can't wait to steam it up and give it a try. It's so beautiful the hubby is still taking photos of it. We also got Yukina Savoy. I've never heard of this but it is quite beautiful. It's the large green leafed item towards the back right. It reminds me of bok choy just prettier. I threw some in my soup this evening and I'm sure it will fair well with some stir fry or something for No Cook Fridays. We have a couple of heads of lettuce as well as Shungiku. Shungiku is considered a green but kind of looks like parsley or cilantro to me. I'll have to do some research on how to prepare it. Kohlrabi is one of my favorites! I first tried it while I was pregnant and in the not able to eat time frame. I loved it! Kinda a taste and texture like broccoli stems. I will probably do a slaw with that, the fennel from last week, maybe some radish and some carrots. I think it will be delicious. We did receive some Endive but seeing as we haven't eaten last week I traded for some more kale. We now have lots of kale!! Yum. We also got garlic greens. They have the same look as green onions and again this is new to me so I'll have to figure out what to do with it. But, that's part of the fun with CSA. I do believe that's the entire basket. I'm super excited about it!!

They offer a bread share as well. I don't have a bread share but I was there earlier enough for pick up I was able to buy a loaf of their rustic whole grain wheat bread. I'm not a huge bread fan but this bread was to die for!! It was from Barrio Bread Company. So very tasty. We enjoyed it with dinner!

Can't wait for the next six weeks of local goodness the CSA provides.

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment