Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Meatless bolognese...no way!

I love bolognese sauce. It's always so meaty, so thick, so delicious. Topped with melted mozzarella it's the best!

Well, yeah we don't eat meat and cheese anymore so I had to figure out how to make a tasty bolognese vegan style!

I do think I could work on this sauce a bit more but I must say, it was quite good. It took 12 hours in the crockpot, 6 hours on high and 6 hours on low. I split it up between two days. What I was surprised about was the lentils still had a bite to them, they were not soft as I thought 12 hours would make them. There was carrots, onions, celery and tomatoes in this sauce. Some seasoning and a long cooking time and you've got a hearty dish. I made a veggie pasta to go with. The one thing I forgot that I will definitely add next time, vegan cheese! I would love the melted goodness on top.

As a side I made a gynormous salad, as I do every Tuesday. I usually put just balsamic vinegar on mine but this week I got a champagne vinagrette from Trader Joe's and used that. I also made the cole slaw, kholrabi/fennel slaw because I wanted to use up some of my CSA stuff. I wasn't sure it would go with dinner but it actually went quite well. Very tasty and makes a great snack the next day.

Bolognese with pasta. Salad & cole slaw

I'm going to work on this recipe a bit more so I can add it to my future cookbook. This and chili so far are candidates for entry. Perhaps it will be a vegan comfort food cookbook. Any thoughts on your end? Would love to hear!

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment