Thursday, March 15, 2012

A truly tasty burger!

I'm not a huge mushroom fan. Never have been. I believe I get it from my dad, we both agree that although they add great flavor to a dish eating them is quite gross. I think it's a texture thing. Do you have any weird texture/food dislikes? I don't like cake, imagine that!

But, I was looking through my new cookbook, Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family and found a recipe for grilled portobella mushrooms. Why not give it a try, right?

I marinated them in olive oil and balsamic vinegar with garlic, salt and pepper for about an hour. The hubby grilled it up about 4-7 minutes per side. To add to it I threw some fennel, sliced, in the oven with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I added a little salt and pepper too. The fennel roasted for about 40 minutes. I also threw some red onion on the grill. Portobella mushroom burger with roasted fennel, grilled onions, and veganaise. Wow, it was fantastic!! I made sweet potatoes fries on the side which J absolutely loves and dandelion greens.

As for the dandelion greens, the hubby loved them. I, however, hated them. But, they are almost the best green out there for you so I ate them as fast as I could. Gross! If you like bitter go right ahead and give them a try.

Here's some research about how good they are in case you want to give them a try.

**According to the USDA Bulletin #8, "Composition of Foods" (Haytowitz and Matthews 1984), dandelions rank in the top 4 green vegetables in overall nutritional value. Minnich, in "Gardening for Better Nutrition" ranks them, out of all vegetables, including grains, seeds and greens, as tied for 9th best. According to these data, dandelions are nature's richest green vegetable source of beta-carotene, from which Vitamin A is created, and the third richest source of Vitamin A of all foods, after cod-liver oil and beef liver! They also are particularly rich in fiber, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and the B vitamins, thiamine and riboflavin, and are a good source of protein.

Great huh? Now you just have to get them done. I did it! Come on, you can too!! Lot's of luck!

Portobella burger

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment