Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Vodka sauce? ...okay!

The hubby loves a nice creamy vodka sauce from time to time. He has often said thought that it's extremely unhealthy. It does tend to contain a ton of fats and a lot of dairy so I would have to agree with him (doesn't happen often :) ).

I was looking through one of my cookbooks for inspiration on what to make for dinner when I came across a vodka sauce. What? A healthy vodka sauce with no cream/dairy? Okay, why not?

This sauce was made with garlic and red pepper flakes sauteed in some vegetable stock (in place of oil) to start. Then I added some tomatoes (I do use canned tomatoes) a little vodka some thyme and oregano. I let that cook down for awhile then added the secret ingredient to make it creamy...slice almonds! I have a fancy dancy kitchen gadget, immersion blender, that I used straight in the cooking pot to get it all creamy smooth. I added fresh basil and wow, it was tasty! The hubby liked it very much but did mention some of the richness from all the fat missing from the sauce was gone. But, he liked in nonetheless. I loved it too. My one year old, J, couldn't get enough (the vodka cooks down). I served with whole wheat penne, so good!

I also made a minestrone soup to go with. Lots of veggies, beans, tomatoes and flavor. Dinner was excellent if I do say so myself.

If you're going to have a night of Italian goodness be sure to have fresh basil on hand. I do love that stuff! I think I may add it to Tuesday nights salad. That reminds me...I should be making salad right now and not blogging! Sheesh! I'm telling you, a cooks work is never done.

Very colorful!




Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment