Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chili

Chili with riceChili with cornbread

Chili, a set on Flickr.

I was very excited to make the 3 bean chili from The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
because the author Rip Esselstyn is a firefighter, don't they make the best chili? I generally tweak my recipes but decided to follow this one, mostly, just to see how it turned out. First off, we did like it, don't let this discourage you. We just found that it lacked oomph! It needed a pop, a kick, something. With all of the yummy ingredients I'm surprised it did not have that wow factor. I'm wondering if the tofu soaked it up a bit. So, next time I will keep it as is regarding the veggies and beans involved but will season as if I were seasoning my meat chili. I also will saute the mushrooms before had and as Sam suggested cook the garbanzo beans, first, to soften them a bit. I did add a beer instead of all the water suggested and will do that again. I do plan to make this chili again, like I said the base was fantastic!

I'm definitely doing a lot better about feeling full/satisfied. It's a nice feeling to not have to fill up with heavy meats and dairy products. Makes me feel clean, if that makes sense. I've lost weight, although that was not my goal, but that's nice to see too!

I'm having a lot of fun cooking!! It's all new it seems. I just love it!!

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment