Monday, January 16, 2012

Red beans with quinoa and kale

Tonight we had quite a bland dinner, not bad just bland. Again it was from the The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
, I just have to know that I will need to jazz up most of the dinners I cook from there, they do have a great base though. This was red beans with green bell peppers over quinoa. I had some patty pans so I added those. I also made wilted kale by steaming it in water for a few minutes. The problem is, I thought it was going to taste horrible so I over salted it by accident. Both Sam and I think it would have been fine had it not had all that salt. Oops! I will definitely try that part again. As for the rest, it lacked in flavor. I will try again another day and add some extra flavor. The salad on the side had romaine, spinach, carrots, radish, cucumber, mini bell peppers, celery and green onions. We dressed with balsamic vinegar, now that was tasty! At least it wasn't an order from Ba Dar(closest chinese restaurant to our house) kind of night. It may have been bland but it wasn't bad! Phew!

Cheers and happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. i have a garlic spicy grinder that i use on EVERYTHING...including fruit. So, maybe check out the grill seasonings section of your grocery and use it to spicy things up. I am a huge fan of kale..I love kale steamed...i usually do raw kale with lemon and garlic and fruit..not sugared fruit of course. sometimes adding the fruit in with the kale when steaming adds a sweetness to the whole thing. Thank you for blogging!

    ReplyDelete