Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Paula Deen discusses her diagnosis

I watched a clip of Paula from The Today show the other day and it got me thinking. If you haven't seen it please feel free to take a gander.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy




Paula has been a chef to watch for some time now. She has a quirky personality, bubbly and cheerful. I know I've caught myself watching from time to time. Now, I know cooking with butter, which she does so often, is joyful, tasty, easy. But, what about "eating in moderation" she boasts about. What does this actually mean? Is moderation for you the same as moderation for me? My idea of moderation for, say, junk food is way different than that of my 13 year old bonus kid(BK), right? He could sit down to a bowl of candy and think it's moderation when for me that is WAY too much. And, on the other hand I could sit down to a large bowl of vegetables and think it's plentiful when he would think otherwise. So, what does Paula mean by moderation? Will she limit her intake to four sticks of butter per day instead of eight?

I think moderation is a relative term that is subjective by the person at hand. For Paula though, I do believe that her lifestyle choices have led her to the disease she now has, type-2 diabetes. This is far too often caused, I believe, by poor diet. I know T. Colin Campbell feels the same way, he speaks of it in The China Study.

So, what happens now? Paula becomes a spokesperson for Diabetes? She donates a ton of money to further the research on how to cure this awful disease? How bout she watch Forks over Knives, decide to change her habits and teach those who are willing to listen, and indeed there will be many, the positive affects of a whole foods, plant based diet. I bet people would listen, I bet they would do some digging for themselves to find out the health benefits this could lead to and I bet less people would die from diabetes and diabetes related illnesses.

Moderation, Paula? Moderation in what? If you used this to consume butter in moderation but decided to consume leafy greens in abundance you would no longer be in this situation. I do wish wellness in her life. I just hope she can open her mind to the benefits of a whole foods, plant based diet. Good luck, Paula.

Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment