Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The list that started it all, and saved me!

I am a person who suffers from migraines. I have for nearly my entire life. I remember being little and having severe headaches that often lasted a couple of days. I would get one and immediately stop eating because I hated to vomit, which is a side affect of migraines. I would try and sleep to no avail, I would pound my head into anything hard to just try and dull the pain. Nothing ever worked. My mom would take me to doctors and nothing they gave me ever helped. One of the medications they gave me had a side affect we did not expect.
I was cooking ramen, that WAS one of my addictions, one afternoon. I had stayed home from school because of a migraine. My dad gave me the meds in the morning and I slept for part of the time on the couch. I got up and thought I would be fine to cook said ramen. I was standing at the stove and after the 3 minutes the noodles take to cook I grabbed the pan, turned to the sink to dump some of the water and proceed to walk across the kitchen to the table. I have no recollection of turning to walk to the table, I woke on the floor next to the table with soup all over me. My dad rushed in to check on me. Well, I never took that medicine again. Passing out was not how I wanted to get rid of my migraine.
As I got older I found Excedrin. That was great if I took it at the onset of a migraine. Waking up with one often meant there was no way to get rid of it until the vomitting happened. Then later a doctor prescribed another medication, Imitrex. That was horrible stuff but took my migraines away for sure. It just made me feel like my skin would crawl right off my body. I couldn't take an entire pill, I would break it up as small as I could to still rid myself of the migraine but to feel less...icky! I found a new doctor and told him I often had migraines 2 to 3 times a week but could usually take care of them with Excedrin. Excedrin is not good for the stomach, it has aspirin but I didn't care, the headaches would go away. This doctor suggested I got to a Neurologist to make sure I didn't have any blockages or whatever else may cause migraines. After an MRI with nothing to show the doctor asked what I ate. What do I eat? Food, like everyone else. I eat can soups, ramen(all the time), boxed foods like Hamburger Helper and Rice a Roni, soda, basically whatever is easy to prepare. He said right away, that's my problem. I'm eating too many processed foods, foods with Monosodium Glutamate.
He told me of a list of items that always contain MSG, often do and sometimes do. Wow, I was blown away! He suggested I stop eating the foods that contain MSG and after awhile add in the ones that sometimes contain it.
I set out to do this very task and let me tell you, it was not easy! I didn't realize the addiction I had to processed foods, especially ramen. I still today, and this was back in the late '90s, have cravings for ramen. I got rid of everything in my cupboards and fridge and quickly realized I would have to learn how to cook. I made a complete overhall. I learned to make my own soups, stocks, ramen(yay!), hamburger helper ish foods, whatever it was I made it all homemade! I found it to be fairly simple too. I could make a large quantity of anything and freeze it for a ready to eat food, for convenience.
I have to say, this made a world of difference for me. I haven't needed migraine medication in years, the occasional Excedrin or some caffeine soda does the trick for those occasional headaches that do pop up. I maybe get 2 or 3 migraines A YEAR. That's amazing considering. All from eating in a healthful way.
I have to say as well that I was bordering on Irritable Bowel Syndrome as well, that's gone too! I know when I start to fall off the healthy wagon, I end up with knots in my tummy and hammers in my head.

Here's my list. Enjoy!

HIDDEN SOURCES OF MSG

The glutamate manufacturers and the processed food industries are always on a quest to disguise MSG added to food. Below is a partial list of the most common names for disguised MSG. Remember also that the powerful excitotoxins aspartate and L-casteine are frequently added to foods and according to FDA rules require no labeling at all.

additives that always contain MSG
Monosodium Glutamate
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrolyzed Protein
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
Plant Protein Extract
Sodium Caseinate
Calcium Caseinate
Yeast Extract
Textured Protein
Autolyzed Yeast
Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Additives that frequently contain MSG
Malt Extract
Malt Flavoring
Bouillon
Broth
Stock
Flavoring
Natural Flavoring
Natural Beef or Chicken Seasoning
Flavoring

Additives that may contain MSG or excitotoxins
Carrageenan
Enzymes
Soy Protein Concentrate
Soy Protein Isolate
Whey protein Concentrate

No comments:

Post a Comment