Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pizza

Before being cookedMmmm pizza

Pizza, a set on Flickr.

This evening I thought I would try my hand at cheeseless pizza. Luckily, for any "bad" dinner night, we have a chinese restaurant right next door that's pretty good. We weren't sure if tonight would be one of those nights or not. I made a pizza using a whole wheat dough I bought at Sunflower Market, I love that place! I then cooked cut up pieces of eggplant in a tomato basil sauce I got at Trader Joe's, another great place. Once I added the sauce to the rolled dough I was able to add the toppings which included, red bell peppers, artichokes, spinach and black olives. I baked it and wow, it was good. Sam said he sort of misses the greasy aspect to the dough, that greasiness you get from meat and cheese, but he did really enjoy the pizza and would like to have it again. I thought it was tasty but yes, after eating cheese and meat on my pizza for so long it almost seemed as though it was missing a "heavy" element, one that I don't really miss.

I did have to step up my will power this evening while putting slices of peperoni on BK's(bonus kid) pizza. I made his "normal." It looked so tasty but I do know it's not worth it. I refrained.

I also made a coleslaw out of the items I got from the CSA. It had beets, daikon radish, carrots, fennel, and kohlrabi. I made a dressing using Veganaise(so good!), apple cider vinegar, celery seed and dill. BK even ate it and he said he doesn't like coleslaw! Yay! J, the little girl, like it too!

I'd say pizza night was a hit!

Recipe found in the book, The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook: 125 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Jump-Start Weight Loss and Help You Feel Great



Cheers and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment